SOUTH KINGSTOWN — Chief Steven Pinch of the Union Fire District of South Kingstown and Chief Nathan Barrington of the Kingston Fire District are pleased to announce that the two departments, thanks to funding from the town of South Kingstown, awarded several scholarships recently.
In total, 10 scholarships of $1,000 each were awarded to District members, family members and students from South Kingstown High School and the Prout School majoring in Fire Science or Emergency Medicine.
The scholarship recipients and the schools they will be attending include:
- Kevin Thompson, American Public University
- Dan Murray, Columbia Southern University
- Ben Tibbits, University of Rhode Island
- Bennett Souza, University of Rhode Island
- Sam Duckworth, University of Rhode Island
- Emily Pinch, Northeastern University
- Sarah Ilgenfritz, University of Rhode Island
- Alyssa Hiener, University of Hartford
SKHS and Prout School
- Ava Caito, University of Vermont
- Olivia Barber, University of Florida
As part of the application process, applicants completed an online application providing the name of a two- or four-year college, technical or trade school, or accredited EMT or higher medical training program of study. The application required the applicants to write what public service means to them.
“We thank the Town of South Kingstown for supporting these scholarships and providing us with the ability to offer them to so many deserving individuals,” Chief Pinch said. “Recruiting and supporting young members who are just starting in their careers is so important to what we do, and we applaud each of the scholarship winners for their dedication to the fields of firefighting, fire sciences and emergency medicine and wish them the best in the future.”